You’ve met with your family, and the vote is unanimous: You’re headed to Florida for vacation. Now it’s time to start vacation planning — from finding inspiration about what to see and do in Florida to packing for your exciting getaway. Whether you decide to spend a week at the beach, camp in Everglades National Park or park-hop around Walt Disney World ResortTM, there are certain essentials that you’ll need to pack for almost every trip to the Sunshine State. Hint: Several of them have to do with the Florida weather.
With this in mind, remember to pack sunscreen, hats, umbrellas or rain jackets, bug spray and — depending on what type of trip you’re taking — the must-grab items on the following Florida vacation checklists.
Getting to Florida
- For a theme park vacation, many of Florida’s world-class attractions are just a short drive from Orlando International Airport.
- For an Everglades National Park adventure, fly into Miami International Airport and drive about 35 miles west to the nearest park entrance.
- Plenty of airports will deliver you to a beach vacation along the Sunshine State’s sprawling coastline. Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport is a centrally located choice for an Atlantic beach trip. Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers is a good pick for the Gulf side.
Packing for a Florida Theme Park Vacation
The Sunshine State has more than 10 theme parks, including the most popular Walt Disney World ResortTM. Make planning a trip to your favorite amusement park easier with this theme park packing list:
- Loose, lightweight clothing you can be active in (like T-shirts and shorts or workout pants)
- A bathing suit, or an extra loose, lightweight top (like a T-shirt or tank top) to change into if your first outfit gets wet from water rides
- A light jacket or sweater, as restaurants and indoor rides can get chilly
- A small backpack or fanny pack (many rides have size restrictions on purses and handbags, so check the park’s guidelines beforehand)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A refillable water bottle and snacks, in case parents or kids get hungry while waiting in line for rides
- Cash for vending machines