Car Rental Driver's License Policy

Customers who reside in the United States, U.S. Territories, or Canada must present a valid, unexpired government-issued driver's license which includes a photograph of the customer. Digital licenses are not accepted. The driver's license must be valid for the entire rental period.

Members of the United States Armed Forces who are on active duty may present an expired home state license under the following conditions:

  • They also present an Active Military ID
  • They are in compliance with their military extension policy of the state which issued the license. These policies vary by state and customers are encouraged to check with the appropriate department of motor vehicles for more information.

International renters traveling to the United States or Canada:

It is important that customers check with the appropriate Department of Motor Vehicles in the States or Provinces in which they intend to travel to ensure compliance with their various licensing laws. The following practices are used to ensure the customer is presenting a facially valid license at the time of rental.

Customers traveling to the United States and Canada from another country must present the following:

  • Their home country driver's license that is valid, unexpired and includes a photograph. Digital licenses are not accepted.

  • If the home country driver's license is in a language other than English (or French, for rentals in Canada) and the letters are English (i.e. German, Spanish, etc.) an International Driver's Permit is recommended, but not required, for translation purposes in addition to the home country driver's license.

  • If the home country driver's license is in a language other than English and the letters are not English (i.e. alphabet is not an extended Latin-based alphabet like German or Spanish but is Russian, Japanese, Arabic, etc.) an International Driver's Permit is required.

  • If an International Driver's Permit cannot be obtained in the home country, another professional, type-written translation may be substituted. In either case, the home country driver's license must also be presented.

  • Customers may not rent a vehicle solely with the International Driver's Permit. The International Driver's Permit is a translation of the individual's home country driver's license and is not considered a license nor is it considered valid identification.

  • In some US locations, customers not holding a US driver’s license may be asked to provide additional documentation.  Examples of this may include a valid passport or, in certain states (AZ, CA, NM, TX, CO) a valid Mexican voter registration card and/or inbound and outbound travel documentation.

Please Note:

  • Photocopies of driver's licenses are not accepted
  • Learner's Permits are not accepted
  • Any license which, on its face, restricts the licensee to the use and operation of a vehicle equipped with a form of a breathalyzer apparatus is not accepted


Temporary driver's licenses may be refused if the renting location is unable to otherwise verify the customer's identity or verify the authenticity of the temporary license. Additional government-issued identification may be required.

Ready to book? Let's get you on your way.