Rental Car Insurance and Protection Products

Alamo offers a variety of protection products to its customers. Below are the protection products available for purchase:

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) - Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is not insurance. The purchase of CDW is optional and not required in order to rent a vehicle.

You may purchase optional CDW for an additional fee. If you purchase CDW we agree, subject to the actions that invalidate CDW listed on the rental agreement, to contractually waive your responsibility for all or part of the cost of damage to, loss or theft of, the vehicle. DW does not apply to damage occurring in Mexico.

When deciding whether or not to purchase CDW, you may wish to check with your insurance representative or credit card company to determine whether, in the event of damage to, or theft of, vehicle, you have coverage or protection for such damage or theft and the amount of your deductible or out-of-pocket risk..

*For rentals originating in California- CDW ranges between 10.99 USD and 500.00 USD per day depending on the type of vehicle rented.

SUPPLEMENTAL LIABILITY Protection (SLP) (Where available): Formally known as Supplemental Liability Insurance - SLI. If SLP is selected and paid for, Owner provides Renter or any AAD with third party liability protection in an amount equal to the minimum financial responsibility limits applicable to the Vehicle (the Primary Protection). SLP also provides additional third party liability protection, through an excess liability policy, with limits of the difference between the Primary Protection and a combined single limit of $300,000 per accident for bodily injury, death and/or property damage to others arising out of the use or operation of the Owner rental Vehicle by Renter or an AAD, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. SLP includes UM/UIM coverage for bodily injury and property damage in an amount equal to the minimum financial responsibility limits applicable to the Vehicle (the Primary Protection), and additional coverage, through an excess liability policy, with limits for the difference between the statutory minimum underlying limits and $100,000 per accident (for rentals commencing in New York, UM/UIM limits are $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident; for rentals commencing in Hawaii, the UM/UIM limits are $300,000 combined single limit) or state mandated UM/UIM limit, whichever is greater. OWNER AND RENTER REJECT ANY ADDITIONAL UM/UIM COVERAGE TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. SLP, including UM/UIM benefits is provided only when Renter or any AAD are driving the Vehicle. No claim for UM/UIM may be made due to the negligence of the driver of the Vehicle. SLP COVERAGE IS IN EFFECT ONLY WHILE ANOTHER AAD OR RENTER IS DRIVING THE VEHICLE WITHIN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA; COVERAGE DOES NOT APPLY IN MEXICO. ADDITIONAL POLICY EXCLUSIONS INCLUDE: (A) BODILY INJURY TO RENTER, ANY AAD, OR TO THE BLOOD RELATIVES OR FAMILY OF RENTER OR ANY AAD, IF SUCH RELATIVES OR FAMILY RESIDE IN THE SAME HOUSEHOLD WITH RENTER OR WITH AN AAD; (B) PROPERTY DAMAGE TO THE RENTAL VEHICLE; (C) FINES, PENALTIES, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES; (D) BODILY INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE EXPECTED OR INTENDED FROM THE STANDPOINT OF THE INSURED; AND (E) ANY OBLIGATION FOR WHICH THE INSURED OR THE INSURED'S INSURER MAY BE HELD LIABLE UNDER ANY WORKER'S COMPENSATION, DISABILITY BENEFITS OR UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION LAW OR ANY SIMILAR LAW. Note: Any UM/UIM benefits paid are included in the $300,000 combined single limit SLP coverage and in no way increase the combined single limit amount referenced above. This insurance coverage is underwritten by Zurich American Insurance Company.

Your own personal auto or umbrella policies or credit card coverage may provide rental car liability coverage; however, Alamo cannot interpret or provide advice with respect to what they may cover. The election of any SLP coverage offered by Alamo might duplicate, void or cause your own policies to become excess coverage. The purchase of optional SLP is not required to rent a vehicle.


Personal Effects Insurance (PEC): United States - Personal Effects Coverage (PEC) is offered at the time of rental for an additional daily charge. If accepted, the PEC contained in the policy insures the personal effects of the renter, additional drivers or anyone who is traveling with the renter against risks of loss or damage. Benefits are payable in addition to any other insurance coverage the renter or passengers may have. This is a summary only. PEC is subject to the provisions, limitations and exclusions of the PEC policy underwritten by Empire Fire and Marine Insurance Company in the United States or AIG Insurance of Canada. The purchase of PEC is optional and not required to rent a car. The coverage provided by PEC may duplicate the renter's existing coverage. Alamo is not qualified to evaluate the adequacy of the renter's existing coverage; therefore, the renter should examine his or her personal insurance policies or other sources of coverage that may duplicate the coverage provided by PEC.

Roadside Plus - Renter may purchase Roadside Plus (RSP) from Owner for an additional fee. If Renter purchases RSP, Owner agrees, subject to the actions that invalidate Collision Damage Waiver, to contractually waive Renter’s responsibility for the cost to provide 24/7 roadside assistance (where available) which includes replacement of lost keys (including remote entry devices), flat tire service (if no inflated spare is available, the vehicle will be towed. Cost of a replacement tire is not covered by RSP), lockout service (if the keys are locked inside the vehicle), jumpstarts, and fuel delivery service for up to 3 gallons (or equivalent liters) of fuel if Vehicle is out of fuel. Roadside Plus services are only available in the United States and Canada. If Renter does not purchase RSP, or RSP is invalidated as set forth above, roadside assistance will be available, but standard charges will apply. RSP does not apply in Mexico. For roadside assistance call 1-800-803-4444.

Additional Protection and Insurance Products offered:

Deductible Protection

International Third Party Insurance (TPI)

Master Cover

Personal Accident (PAI) and Personal Effects Insurance (PEC): Canada

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) International

When Do I Need Rental Car Insurance?

Whether you’re a frequent traveler or a once-a-year rental car customer, you’ve probably asked yourself, “Do I need rental car insurance or other protection products offered by the car rental company?”

While we can’t advise you of whether you need coverage or how your current coverage may or may not apply to a rental car, we can walk you through how to find out what coverages you may have and provide some information about the optional coverages available when you rent a vehicle. 

To help you make your decision, review the coverage you already have to assess whether your current insurance covers a rental car.

Are You Covered Under an Existing Car Insurance Policy?

If so, does this car insurance cover damage to or your use or operation of a rental car? Contact your agent and determine what types of coverage your policy(s) offers you when renting a car. Make sure to ask specifically about liability, comprehensive and collision coverage.

Although your existing car insurance may cover your rental car, every policy is different. It’s best to call and find out all the details of your coverage —like the amount of your deductible and any other pertinent information—before picking up your rental.

Do You Have a Credit Card?

Check to see what your credit card covers when renting a car. Specifically, you’ll want to determine if your credit card provides primary or secondary auto rental coverage, what types of vehicles it will cover and any other restrictions or requirements.

*All protection products are subject to the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.

Ready to book? Let's get you on your way.